Scampi Flamingo Recipe - Hotel Danieli Royal Excelsior, Venice, Italy
Here how I prepare another great recipe, Scampi Flamingo, from the Mary and Vincent Price's cookbook classic Treasury of Great Recipes. Hotel Danieli Royal Excelsior in Venice, Italy serves this great Scampi Flamingo--elegant, yet not too difficult.
- 7/8 cup butter
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 lbs. large shrimp in their shells
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 1-1/2 cups cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup behamel sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 5/6 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 4 tablespoons of framboise
- 2-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Rice-A-Roni Rice Pilaf
- Heat 1/2 cup butter in a skillet. Add the onion, celery and carrot and 1/4 teaspoon thyme.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until you see the veggies are starting to brown.
- Next add your shrimp (in the shells) and cook for 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Pour in 1/4 cup cognac and ignite, letting the flame burn out. Next remove the shrimp, cool slightly, and then the not so nice part--remove shells and veins.
- Add cream, milk, sherry and behamel sauce to a skillet and simmer for 10 minutes. You should get a kind of heavy sauce. Add salt and lemon juice. Add back in your shrimp and heat for about 5 minutes.
Lightly swirl 1/4 cup butter into sauce and pour over the shrimp. Serve with the Rice-A-Roni.