Thrill of the Grill
Thrill of the Grill offers up recipes and techniques for down-home barbecue cooking. Here, two of the top grilling experts in the country offer their professional secrets and top dishes for you to enjoy on your home barbecue.
Format: Hardcover with dust jacket, 395 pages.
Publisher: William Morrow Cookbooks
Author: Christopher Schlesinger and John Willoughby
Description: Grilling is as American as fireworks on the Fourth of July, but until now cookbooks have neglected it. Over five years in preparation, The Thrill of the Grill will teach anyone from the eager newcomer to the experienced backyard professional how to master the art of grilling.
Here Virginia-born chef Chris Schlesinger and co-author John Willoughby take you on a journey to the flavorful, easygoing world of grilling and barbecuing. Spicy tastes from tropical climates, the beloved barbecue of the American South, and the excitement and informality of cooking over live fire are all part of the trip.
Drawing on fifteen years of professional grilling experience, Schlesinger explains everything from the relative merits of various fuels to the healthful aspects of grilling. Included are guidelines for choosing the right foods for the grill, knowing when they are properly cooked, and dealing with disasters. In chapters such as "Fish and Other Water Dwellers" and "Grilling at the Ritz," Schlesinger presents two hundred of his recipes.
On the familiar side are recipes such as Grilled Big Black-and-Blue Steak for Two, written with the kind of detail that ensures the steak will be charred on the outside and juicy perfect on the inside. There's even a recipe for authentic Barbecued Ribs, Missouri Style, developed for the home grill. On the novel side you will find such unusual dishes as Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple-Ancho Chile Salsa, Pasta from Hell, and Grilled Expensive Mushrooms on Texas Toast.
Among this book's unique features:
- Sound advice on which grills and fuels to use, how to lay your fire, and how to know just when the fire is at the right temperature.
- Descriptions of the few cooking tools you need for carefree grilling, with instructions on how to use them.
- A chapter elucidating the fine art of grilling, with tips on how to get the best, most flavorful results.
- A chapter of innovative, full-flavored grill appetizers, eminently suitable for combining into a full meal.
- A one-of-a-kind section on the art of barbecuing (smoke cooking), including all-new information on regional variations, barbecue terminology, and a guide to the colorful rhetoric that is an indispensable part of this cooking style.
- An original chapter called "Sambals, Blatjangs, and Salsas," or the "sauces" of grilled foods, easily put together with raw ingredients.
- Recipes for exotic beverages that are just the thing to wash down a spicy meal.
- Simple down-home desserts, perfect after grilled foods.
- 32 pages of four-color photographs of the recipes in the book.
- A pantry section that provides you with techniques for creating recipe ingredients such as braised garlic and roasted peppers; tells you what prepared ingredients you should have on hand; and describes the variety of chile peppers and exotic fruits and vegetables used in the book.
The Thrill of the Grill is the book grill and barbecue lovers have been waiting for. Chris Schlesinger's unique blend of exotic spices, American favorites, humor, and infectious enthusiasm will put the thrill in your grill and have you coming back for seconds.
Condition: Good condition. Jacket corner tips have minor wear.
Browse more Vintage, Used and Collectible Cookbooks.