A Taste of Texas a Cookbook: Vintage 1949
A Taste of Texas a Cookbook is a 1949 vintage cookbook with over 300 favorite recipes. Here is regional cooking at its best with recipes like Curried Shrimp, Mincemeat Mother-In Law, Lone Star Apple Pie, Cherries Jubilee, Pecan Whisky Cake, and much more.
Format: Hardcover with dust jacket, 303 pages.
Publisher: Random House
Author: Jane Trahey
Description: There are more than 300 tested, mouth-watering recipes in this book. They were culled from some 2,000 sent in by Texans born, Texans bred, Texans by proximity, Texans by adoption, and Texans by osmosis and capillary attraction. The testing was done in the Home Economics Department of the Texas State College for Women. It took three entire semesters to screen the recipes for preparation, flavor, texture, appearance and, in some cases, storage characteristics.
Also, beyond the purely kitchen, or practical, phase, they were considered in the light of origin, section of the country and the stories that accompanied them. In short, these are the best, most interesting dishes and beverages served by prominent Texans at home, at parties, wherever good food and good cheer combine to embellish life in that fabulous State of Weil-Being.
Besides serving as your guide to cooking with a Texas touch, A Taste of Texas cookbook makes downright good reading. Many of the contributors had things to say as pungent as anything included in their dishes. An index of contributors appears at the end of the book.
Among the recipes (and the places from which they come) you'll find:
- Bowl of Red (Sherman)
- Chili Con Carne (Dallas)
- Devils on Horseback (Memphis)
- Cream Cheese Salad Dressing (Longview)
- Hush Puppies (Port Arthur)
- Blueberry Muffins (Amarillo)
- Onion Cheese Pie (Dallas)
- $100.00 Chocolate Cake (Fort Worth)
- Chicken Pilau (Denton)
- Zetoni (Kaufman)
- Barbecued Red Snapper, Whitefish or Bass (San Antonio)
- Hong Kong Fried Trout (Brownsville)
- Mama Lee's Old-Fashioned Sugar
- Cookies (Dallas)
- Chicken and Red Wine (Dallas)
- Pigeon Pie (Dallas)
- Gum-Drop Cookies (Austin)
- Chili Frito Pie (Hutchins)
- Sweet Potatoes with Wine Sauce (Meridian)
- Crabapple Spice Sauce (Dallas)
- Shrimp-and-Vegetable Aspic (Dallas)
- Paris (Texas, of course) Onion Soup
- Curried Shrimp (San Antonio)
- Pecan Whisky Cake (Houston)
- Broiled Steak with Roquefort Sauce (Houston)
- Texas Border Casserole (Dallas)
- Mincemeat Mother-in-Law (Dallas)
- Lone Star Apple Pie (Electra)
- Cherries Jubilee (San Angelo)
- Corsetiere's Despair (Rising Star)
Condition: Good condition. Jacket has tears.
Browse more Vintage, Used and Collectible Cookbooks.