License To Grill Cookbook
License to Grill cookbook is brought to you by two of the top experts on grilling and barbecue. With more than 200 recipes to choose from, you'll love the blend of techniques, tips and recipes found inside these pages. From a chapter devoted to skewers to Boy Scout cooking, this is the barbecue lovers dream cookbook.
Format: Hardcover and dust jacket, First Edition, 400 pages
Publisher: William Morrow and Company, Inc.
Authors: Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby
Description: Schlesinger and John "Doc" Willoughby single-handedly raised America's grilling consciousness in their award-winning The Thrill of the Grill. Now they're back with the second generation of grilling expertise and over 200 recipes packed with bright, loud flavors. In their uniquely engaging, informal style, Chris and Doc share their grilling secrets and lead us through the daring, challenging, exciting, yet casual world of live fire cookery.
This is grilling designed for the novice or pro, the duffer or dedicated man, woman, or child. In addition to covering the basics, Chris and Doc add several new, lighter dimensions to their grilling canon, with more grilled vegetables, more seafood, more pasta, and more surprisingly grillable fruit. Vibrant and adventurous, the recipes combine fresh herbs, chiles, citrus, and spices with that indefinable grilled flavor to create dishes that both satisfy and intrigue.
Special features of this book include:
- An in-depth grill briefing, including tips on easy fire starting, answers to the ten most frequently asked grilling questions, five keys to easy grilling, and—for those who can't bear to put the grill away when winter comes—a guide to fireplace grilling.
- A chapter devoted to grilling on skewers, with hints on how to meld flavors and cook ingredients evenly, along with recipes like exotic Grilled Lamb Skewers with Apricots, Single Grilled Swordfish Skewers, Grilled Lamb and Potato Skewers with Tomato-Green Olive Relish, and Grilled Chicken Skewers with Coconut-Ginger Sauce.
- A section that showcases the uniquely thrilling Hobo Pack Cookery, otherwise known as Boy Scout cooking, with recipes like Eggplant and Tomato Hobo Pack with Lemon and Garlic, and Chicken Hobo Pack with Garlic, Lemon, and Herbs.
- A wide selection of salads and pasta dishes, such as Grilled Artichoke and White Bean Salad or Linguine with Grilled Shrimp and Black Olives, which use grilled fish, meat, and vegetables to add smoky-great flavor.
- For you heat freaks, a chapter of high-heat dishes, from Chile-Coated Chicken Thighs with Couscous and Tomato-Raisin Relish to Grilled Shrimp with Most-Hot Lime-Chile Booster.
- "Slow and low" barbecue and grill-roasting, where classic barbecued brisket becomes Mediterranean-Style Slow-Roasted Beef Brisket, and innovative dishes like Corn Bread-Stuffed Barbecued Game Hens with Bourbon-Shallot Sauce come off the grill with deep, smoky flavor.
- A bevy of side dishes that go great with grilled food, from K.C.'s Bengali-Style Spinach to Sweet-Potato Steak Fries with Your Own Catsup to grilled Corn with Lime and Chinese Roasted Salt.
- Dozens of condiments, pickles, and spice rubs that build flavor fast with very little effort.
Packed with practical grilling instructions, anecdotes, and inventive recipes that join simple pleasure with culinary adventure, here's a book that has direct appeal to anyone who's ever wanted to put food over fire. Whether you're a novice looking for your initial License to Grill, an accomplished live fire devotee ready to earn your Ph.G. (Doctorate of Grilling), or you just want to spend some time hanging out by the fire, this is the book for you. So go ahead, unleash your "griller instincts" and give yourself License to Grill—permission to fool around with live fire, add a smoky sear to your dinner, and generally turn cooking into the best part of your day.
Chris Schlesinger is the chef and co-owner of the East Coast Grill and Jake & Earl's Dixie Barbecue in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
John Willoughby is a writer living in Cambridge, is senior editor of Cook's Illustrated. He specializes in food, travel, and health. They are the authors of Lettuce in Your Kitchen; Big Flavors of the Hot Sun; Salsas, Sombals, Chutneys & Chowchows; and The Thrill of the Grill.
Condition: Good condition.
Browse more Vintage, Used and Collectible Cookbooks.