Let the Flames Begin Cookbook - Live Fire Cooking
Let the Flames Begin Cookbook showcases the recipes and techniques of live fire cooking from two of grilling experts, Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. The cookbook is loaded with flavorful recipes, tips, techniques, and detailed instruction for live fire cooking.
Format: Hardcover with dust jacket, 428 pages
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Author: Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby
Description: They burst on the culinary scene a dozen years ago with the genre-defining The Thrill of the Grill, and now they're back to demonstrate their basic belief: Cooking your food can be as much fun as eating it. The surest route to that backyard nirvana, say Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby, is to use the real thing -- live fire.
To make it easy, they've put more of everything into this new grilling guide: more useful information, more effective techniques, more imaginative and flavor-packed recipes, more ways to make grilling not just a cooking method but also a way of life. In their familiar, companionable voice, these gurus of the grill take you through everything you need to know to be a great griller.
Special features of the book include:
- Detailed instructions for getting the most out of every live fire cooking technique, from hot smoking to straight-on grilling to barbecuing (no, they're not the same) and smoke-roasting, each designed to bring that ineffable smoky flavor to whatever you put over the fire;
- Expert advice on everything from choosing your fuel to accurately gauging the doneness of your food to knowing when (and, more importantly, when not) to cover your grill;
- A list of the handful of tools you'll need for proper grilling, and how to choose each one;
- Descriptions of how to deal with each live fire's distinct personality, exploiting those complex layers of heat and veins of coal and flame that make it subtly different from any other fire you have ever built;
- Sidebars with tips and useful information about everything from varieties of mushrooms to making tough steaks more tender;
- "Cook to Cook" instruction boxes with almost every recipe, outlining the keys to success for that particular dish.
And then, of course, there are the recipes. Inside these covers you'll find more than 250 spectacular dishes, from starters to desserts and everything in between. Some, like Curry-Grilled Quail with Dried Grapes, Ginger, and Mint, or Spicy Sausage-Stuffed Trout with Hoisin Glaze and Sesame Crust, are upscale options for those times when you want to put on the Ritz. Many others, like Smoke-Roasted Standing Rib Roast; Grilled Clams in Their Shells with Tabasco, Lemon, and Garlic; West Indian Grilled Chicken; and Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese, are as easy as can be. But every one is packed with intense, deep, rich flavors and eating excitement. You'll also find not just recipes but entire strategies for cooking ribs, steaks, whole fish, corn on the cob, and other favorites; hobo packs to roast in the coals while you grill something else above the fire; and uniquely tasty beverages to keep you refreshed while you're grilling.
Much has changed in the dozen or so years since Schlesinger and Willoughby first upped the ante on America's grilling consciousness, but at least one thing remains the same: Grilling is still the most fun and most involving cooking method of them all. With thousands more fires and hundreds more hours of grilling under their belts, they are back with a book full of new ideas and a virtual Grilling Hall of Flame of fantastic dishes. Here are all the secrets, all the fun, and hundreds of great recipes for real live fire grilling. This book, as entertaining as it is enlightening, will take you all the way to grilling mastery -- and we know you'll enjoy the trip.
Condition: Good condition.
Browse more Vintage, Used and Collectible Cookbooks.