Mastering the Art of French Cooking 1st Edition, 2nd Printing
Julia Child masterpiece Mastering the Art of French Cooking is a classic cookbook for collectors and French culinary fans. It is a staple cookbook for those who want to learn traditional French recipes from a master chef. You can't go wrong with this collectible vintage cookbook.
Format: Hardcover, 716 pages including index
Copyright: 1961, First Edition, Second Printing
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Author: Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle and Simone Beck
Description: "Anyone can cook in the French manner anywhere," say Mesdames Beck, Bertholle, and Child, "with the right instruction." Here, at last, is the first fundamental cookbook that tells Americans how.
Mastering the Art of French Cooking is for both seasoned cooks and beginners who love good food and long to reproduce at home the savory delights of the classic cuisine, from the historic Gallic masterpieces to the seemingly artless perfection of a dish of spring-green peas. This beautiful book, with over 100 instructive illustrations, is revolutionary in its approach because:
- It leads the cook infallibly from the buying and handling of raw ingredients, through each essential step of a recipe, to the final creation of a delicate confection.
- It breaks down the classic cuisine into a logical sequence of themes and variations rather than presenting an endless and diffuse catalogue of recipes; the focus is on key recipes which form the backbone of French cookery and which lend themselves to an infinite number of elaborations, bound to increase anyone's culinary repertoire.
- It adapts classical techniques, wherever possible, to modern American conveniences.
- It shows Americans how to buy products from any supermarket in the U.S.A. which reproduce the exact taste and texture of the French ingredients: equivalent meat cuts, for example; the right beans for a cassoulet; or the appropriate fish and sea food for a bouillabaisse.
- It offers suggestions for just the right accompaniment to each dish, including proper wines.
Since there has never been a book as instructive and as workable as Mastering the Art of French Cooking, the techniques learned here can be applied to recipes in all the other French cookbooks, making them infinitely more usable. In compiling the secrets of famous cordons bleus, the authors have produced a magnificent volume that is sure to find the place of honor in every kitchen in America.
Condition: Good condition. No dust jacket. Cover has minor crease at corner tip and minor cloth fray at other corner.
Browse more Vintage, Used and Collectible Cookbooks.