New Cuisine of Hawaii Cookbook - Recipes from Twelve Celebrated Chefs
Chefs of Hawaii contributed their amazing recipes for Hawaiian cuisine you can prepare in your home kitchen. the New Cuisine of Hawaii Cookbook celebrates this regional cuisine with dishes from chefs including Sam Choi, Roy Yamaguchi, and a host of chefs from across the Hawaiian Islands numerous resort hotels.
Format: Hardcover with dust jacket, 146 pages.
Publisher: Villard Books
Author: Janice Henderson
Description: The best chefs in Hawaii have banded together tor one purpose: to transform the islands into a mecca for superlative cuisine uniquely identifiable to the region. Nov this sensationally stylish cuisine appears in the first comprehensive, fully illustrated cookbook of its kind. Throw out your notions of standard luau fare -- bold, vivacious, and completely new, the cuisine of America's fiftieth state is now on the culinary map.
The popularity of Hawaii Regional Cuisine is soaring, as returning travelers rave about an enchanting blend of flavors and culinary techniques inherited from the Pacific Rim, Calitfornia, and Europe. This enticing recipe collection will delight the most experienced gustatory explorer with such dishes as Big Island Goat Cheese and Maui Onion Tart, Stir-Fried Chicken Satay with Rice Noodles, and Roasted Banana-Rum Soufflé. Healthful, boldly flavorful, exquisitely presented, these are easy-to-prepare recipes (with readily available substitutions for island ingredients) few will be able to resist. Also included are wine recommendations, a complete glossary of ingredients, and even notes on Hawaiian word pronunciation.
Hawaii's culinary revolution began ten years ago, when twelve of the region's most accomplished chefs created Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Inc., a coalition formed to celebrate the remarkable diversity and sophistication of the islands' glorious fare. Mainland-trained in such renowned restaurants as L'Ermitage and Lutèce, these culinary wizards single-handedly transformed the cuisine of Hawaii by encouraging local farmers to grow a wider variety of indigenous ingredients. Taking advantage of the islands' tantalizing produce, the HRC chefs went on to develop a thoroughly unique and distinctly American way of cooking. Here each HRC chef is featured in turn:
- Sam Choy, chef-owner Sam Choy's restaurants, Hawaii
- Roger Dikon, executive chef, Maui Prince Hotel, Maui
- Amy Ferguson Ota, executive chef, Ritz-Carlton, Mauna Lani, Hawaii
- Mark Ellman, chef-owner, Avalon restaurant, Lahaina, Maui
- Beverly Gannon, executive chef/co-owner, Halimaile General Store, Maui
- Jean-Marie Josselin, chef-owner, A Pacific Café, Kauai
- George Mavrothalassitis, executive chef, Halekulani Hotel, Oahu
- Peter Merriman, chef-owner, Merriman's restaurant, Hawaii
- Philippe Padovani, executive chef, The Manele Bay Hotel, Lanai
- Gary Strehl, executive chef, Hawaii Prince Hotel, Oahu
- Roy Yamaguchi, chef-owner, Roy's Restaurant, Oahu Alan Wong, chef de cuisine, Le Soleil and Canoe House restaurants, Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows, Hawaii
As alluring as the island itself, The New Cuisine of Hawaii fully demonstrates the style and good taste that has won HRC praise where from the Los Angeles Times Magazine to The New York Times. Here is an invitation to a first-rate culinary adventure, a delectable tribute to the extraordinary coming-of-age of Hawaii Regional Cuisine.
Condition: Minor creasing interior flap. Further good condition.