Cashew Chicken Melt Sandwich
This Cashew Chicken Melt Sandwich recipe is wonderful for lunch or dinner and can be prepared in 15 minutes or less. This is a calorie reduced version but you can make it with "regular" ingredients if desired. It's so delicious you'll forget this recipe comes out of a can and be left wanting more the next day! Let me know how you like it. This is a Cookbook Village recipe.
- Ingredients: 1 White Canned Chicken Breast in water (12-1/2 oz. I prefer Swanson or Trader Joes brands)
- 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix, Buttermilk Recipe (don't prepare it...you just want the mix)
- 2-3 ounces chopped Red Onions
- 1/4 cup chopped Cashew Nuts (approx 2 ounces chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ralphs Sweet Hot Mustard (Ralphs makes one of the best but other brands can be substituted)
- 4-5 tbsp Fat Free Mayonnaise
- 1 packet Light/Low Fat Cheddar Cheese slices
- Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Chili Powder to taste
- 1 bag Sourdough Bread (recipe calls for 8 slices)
- Mix chicken in a mixing or deep bowl with 4 tbsp of the mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle in the ranch dressing mix so it covers the top layer of chicken in the bowl.(directly out of the packet...do not prepare the dressing). I believe it is roughly a few table spoons but not the entire packet.
- Stir in sweet/hot mustard
- Stir in onions and cashew nuts.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt, pepper, paprika and/or chili powder to taste
- Toast sourdough bread slices so they are crisp but not yet browned.
- Remove sourdough toast from toaster oven.
- Coat 1/2 of each sandwich (up to 4) with the chicken mixture.
- Add a slice of cheese over the top of each coated slice and put just the coated slices in the oven/grill until the cheese melts and slightly browns.
- Put the slices you toasted earlier on top of each to form a sandwich (you could opt for open-faced if desired but it's a bit messier).
Photo shown is stock photography and not the actual end result.