Mock Cheesecake Recipe
Here is a Mock Cheesecake recipe that contains no cheese but tastes like the real thing. My wife found it in a vintage community cookbook and it is delicious.
Makes 6-8 servings.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks (beaten well)
- 3 egg whites (beaten stiff)
- 1 can applesauce (sweetened)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Grated rind from 1 lemon
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar.
- Set aside the other 1/2 cup of this mixture.
- Take the remaining mixture (that you didn't set aside) and press it onto the bottom and sides of a shallow 8x12" baking dish.
- Mix beaten egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, applesauce, lemon juice and rind.
- Fold in egg whites
- Pour mixture into baking dish covering your crust.
- Top with the 1/2 cup of crumb mixture you set aside
- Bake @ 325 degrees for 45 minutes
- Serve plain or topped with whipped cream.