Hot Fruit Casserole Recipe
This is hands down the one recipe on my blog I would encourage you to make. It is for a Hot Fruit Casserole. This is probably the single most favorite dish in my family. My mother-in-law found this in a City of Hope Jewish cookbook and serves it at all her gatherings. I look forward to it on every holiday as I know it will be on the table short after arrival. It is such a simple recipe, but the oohs and aahs and "how delicious" comments occur with each new visitor to my mother-in-law's home. Anyway, here it is....enjoy.
If you make this, let me know how you like it. What is your absolute family favorite?
This recipe is not a dessert, it is an accompaniment to main meal.
The below recipe serves 12-15 people. I think it is more like 10 personally--most people have seconds so make extra if you are unsure.
- 8-1/2 x 11 or 9 x 13 pyrex baking dish
- 1 package Mothers Macaroon Cookies (cookie section)
- 3 cans of pineapple chunks in its own juice
- 3 cans of peach slices
- 3 cans of pear slices in its own juice1 package frozen pitted black cherries thawed
- 1 box or good sized package of dried apricots
- 1 large package sliced or slivered almonds (flat ones) -
- Dry Sherry
- Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Melted Margarine
- Grease pyrex well
- Process cookies into crumbs
- Drain all fruit well
- Mix all fruits together in a bowl
- Cover bottom of Pyrex dish with some a layer of cookie crumbs (don't use all crumbs--save for other layers)
- Cover crumbs with one layer of mixed fruit
- Cover fruit layer with crumbs layer
- Cover crumbs again with layer of fruit
- End with a layer of cookies crumbs (This would equal 2 layers of fruit, 3 layers of cookie). Note: You can assemble fruit and crumbs the day before and refrigerate if you don't want to save time the day you serve it.)
- Cover top layer of cookie crumbs with almonds
- Drizzle Dry Sherry over top layer
- Sprinkle Brown Sugar over top layer until covered lightly
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes
- Then drizzle 1/4 cup of Melted Margarine over the top
- Finish baking another 15 minutes
- Total baking time is 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Top should be lightly browned.
- If getting too brown during last 15 minutes lightly cover with foil.