Cookbook Collecting and Reviews
A Cookbook Village blog written for cookbook collectors and curious cooks. Find out all about collecting cookbooks: used and vintage; reviews and values; recipes and best books to buy for investment.
Challah Cheese Strata Recipe
Here is a Jewish holiday Challah Cheese Strata recipe that my mother-in-law provided for Cookbook Village.
- 18 eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 lb. butter
- 1-1/2 lb. loaf of Challah
- 1 lb. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lb. grated Jack cheese
- 1 bunch green onions - finely chopped
- 2 to 3 red, yellow or green peppers - mushrooms or black olives are optional
- Trim crusts from bread and brush both sides with melted butter.
- Spray pan (approx. 12" x 16" or 2 small pans) with Pam or other vegetable oil.
- Line pan with buttered bread.
- Mix Jack & cheddar cheese together and sprinkle over bread.
- Add another layer of buttered bread and the other half of the cheese.
- Beat eggs and milk together well and poor over bread and cheese.
- Spread onions, peppers and any other garnish over top.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake in 350 degree pre-heated oven for 1-1/2 hours. If getting to brown, cover with foil.